Friday, January 23, 2015

Taking Stock

When in doubt, take the back roads. 
Making: Stuffed Pepper soup, whole30 compliant. A little of this, a little of that. So good and easy and warm to the belly on these cold winter nights. Here is my concocted recipe:
1 onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
package of ground turkey
-Brown all of this together in a pot with coconut oil. 
4 potatoes, cubed up pretty small
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1-2 red (or green or yellow) bell pepper, chopped
28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes (I like the fire roasted kind)
Salt and peppa and any other spices you have on hand and want to try out. 
-Throw all this in with the turkey/onion/garlic and coat well with the tomato paste. And allow all the flavas to "mesh"
Cover with chicken broth.
Add in 1/2 cup coconut milk (this made it a little creamier and sweeter! loved this addition to soups!)
Let it simmer away until potatoes are done. The husband and I topped ours withs some Frank's hot sauce to kick it up a notch. 
Every single member of our tribe gobbled this goodness up and there are plenty of leftovers for lunch today. 
Drinking: La Croix coconut...new fave. 
Reading: It Starts with Food.  
Wanting: Nachos. The craving is real. I think about them all the time and in my dreams. This will be my first cheat meal off Whole30, FOR SURE. 
Watching: Once Upon a Time. Started out good, but the Anna and Elsa story line is a bit much to me. 
Listening: Kidz Bopp on XM radio. The kids and I jam to this.
Eating: more veggies than I ever have in all my life. 
Smelling: Went HERE and spent a good 30 minutes smelling all the goodness in their apothecary shop. Came home with THIS. It was time for a new scent in my life and great packaging to boot. 
Enjoying: Watching my boys ice skate and get better and better each week of practice. Such a fun new sport for them. 
Loving: Our new church here. The Lord has really been working on my heart in regards to church and how I view it. 
Hoping: For new relationships as we start leading a community group here next month. God has been so gracious in going before us and bringing people into our lives.  Forming friendships in a new town is a total 'put yourself out there' kind of thing. Probably the hardest aspect of being the new folks in town. 
Needing: A hair cut and color. Desperately. I have gray hairs. It scares me a little. 
Feeling: A little sickly. Not able to shake off a nasty cough that keeps me up at night. The combo of cough suppressant meds, essential oils, and homemade elixirs just barely touch it. 
Wearing: If you know me well, you know my love for jewelry. Since moving here, I'm lucky if I have on any earrings at all. If I do, its my Nickel and Suede earrings in signature gold. Lightweight and soooo pretty. I have my eye on those cognac cut outs next.  
Bookmarking: Mark's Daily Apple. Not normally a site I would spend much time on, but after reading one of his articles on oils and cooking and using them in food, I want to spend some time here learning more. 

1 comment:

  1. Love hearing all of this. Makes me feel like we are closer in proximity! I am very similar on so many of the same things--food, kid bop, same view on once upon a time, etc. so much!

    ReplyDelete