Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mountain Callings: REMODEL

Oh, hey. Talk about a blogging hiatus. I am back and ready to share a really fun project we are working on. We have bought an adorable log cabin and over the next few weeks and months we will be fixing it up and making it our own.



This house is unlike any other we have done before. A bit of a backstory, I grew up with a dad who was a builder and developer. Much of my childhood was spent going around with my mom, picking out paint colors and cabinets, flooring and exterior finishes. At the time, it was something I did not really enjoy, but as I got older and my mom allowed me to be a part of the process, I started to develop a love for all things home design.  By the time I graduated high school, I think I had lived in 20 different houses. Crazy town! The constant process of building and moving and selling was just part of our lifestyle. I think this is what created such an easy transition for me whenever change happens. I am pretty much go with the flow and am VERY unattached to the homes I have lived in.

When I married Kyle, he was also just getting started in the building business. We built and designed our first home together and it was a really fun process for us. Since our first house, we have moved 8 more times (a couple of them "in between" rentals), built 3 more homes (our last one in Tennessee being one we thought would be our "almost" forever home), and remodeled a cute little cottage in the downtown district of our hometown. We are essentially hooked on houses and love creating unique spaces.

A couple of months ago, a great little log cabin popped up on the market. We had been keeping our eye on the newest listings and the price on this place was almost too good to be true in the crazy housing market where we live. We immediately called our realtor and we were the first people to look at it at 9am! Again, knowing the market here, we were prepared to make an offer if the house had the potential we thought it would. After a quick showing, we knew that this was a place we could make our own.

It's been a bit of a crazy ride trying to finalize negotiations and close on the cabin before our lease is up on the place we are currently renting. As of Friday, we own a little slice of this mountain life and we are so excited to transform it to the rustic modern cabin we envision.

Here are the details!

1500 square feet-3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom-open floor plan in kitchen/living/dining-exterior made up of real, solid wood logs-kept in great condition overall, but needs updating-nice sized lot with the possibility of an addition off the back in the near future

I can guarantee this home will warrant some pretty great before and after photos. Here is how it looks now. These were all taken on my iPhone and are unedited...

Kitchen
Really tall cathedral ceilings in the kitchen/living/dining. It makes the smallish space seem a lot larger. 
Looking from the living room into kitchen and dining
Looking from the hallway into kitchen/living/dining. One thing I loved when we first looked at the cabin was the great natural light that came in through the windows. 
Guest bedroom, and the master is essential the same 

Bathroom, which had recently been updated with new toilet, shower, tile, and sink. We are holding off on doing anything to this yet. It isn't my style but it will work for us for now!
The massive wood stove. It takes up so much room so I have some really cool ideas to take it out and put in a more modern one. 

The kids bunk room. Lovely carpet, right?! That little closet already has plumbing for a sink and toilet in the future. We are making it bigger and just using it as a closet for now. 

This room is HUGE. Tons of storage on both sides. The kids have loved playing hide and seek behind the doors. 

Stairs

Wood, wood, and more wood, right?! When looking at homes, one of the most important things to do is look past the finishes on the floor and paint colors, light fixtures and hardware (or lack thereof). Focus instead on the layout of the home and the potential of what is already there. What this house has is the great texture of the wood log walls. In this day in age, many log homes are kits and aren't real wood. It also has a lot of great tongue and groove planks that will be painted. To install these new, they cost quite a bit, so I knew already having them was a bonus. The floor plan gave me a really decent sized kitchen with lots of cabinet space. To me, kitchen size is key. As a mama to 3, I spend ALOT of time in there. Yes the cabinets were (more) stained wood (but paint and modern cabinet hardware works wonders!) and the appliances were brand spankin' new (more money saved). The open floor plan also worked well for us. I loved the idea of putting all the kids upstairs together. Again, this room is huge so they will have plenty of space. They are still young, are all on the same sleeping schedule, and creating an area that is for both genders got me really excited. I will be channeling the look and feel of a 1970's bunk camp in there. As for the other two bedrooms, Kyle and I don't need a huge master. That is something we have realized over the course of our moves. We sleep in there. As long as there is room for our king sized bed and a dresser or two, we are good to go! With this house, we could finally have a designated guest room. Living far away from family and friends, we needed a space for visitors that wasn't just kicking Hannah Cate out of her room so someone could have somewhere to sleep. The one bathroom didn't bother me either. We all usually end up in the same one anyways! 

Our last home was 3,000 square feet. This one is 1,500. Half the size. I honestly don't mind it one bit. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Wide open national forests and outdoor spaces and things to do are right at our doorstep. On the weekends, we are hiking or biking or skiing, etc. In two years, all 3 kids will be in school during the day. Our time at home will be a lot less than what it has been in the past. Crazy how quickly things can change. A dear friend made me a sign that quotes "Love grows best in little houses." This is what works best for us right now. And I am pretty pumped to have less to clean every week! 

Our demoing started over the weekend and after today, we should be done with that part of the process. Things have got to look really ugly before they start looking good again when it comes to home renovating. Stay tuned for updates along the way. I'm excited to share the process with all of you readers! 


1 comment: